I have seen this link on a few of my nesties blogs, and wanted to start participating. Every Friday, I'm going to try to remember that this infertility battle is not just about me, and I couldn't have found a better support than my husband.
Warning. . .could get mushy
When we first started trying, my DH had all the confidence in the world that it would happen right away. I faced the situation with hope but doubt, but he was our cheerleader from the start. He was interested in my charts, he asked about my temps, and brought me the pillow to prop my butt :-)
When we first start recognizing problems and decided to see a fertility specialist, his attitude became "Whatever it takes". I know that for some men, that MFI diagnosis hits them hard. Not mine. It's just another thing to deal with, nothing to be upset or embarassed about. He would have been ready to start IVF right away if that was what the Dr. wanted because more than anything, he wants this to work. If that was the only way, then that was the only way. Of course, to be fair, he really didn't have any idea what the process entailed :-)
He comes to every appointment I ask him to come to. He stays for the IUIs to hold my hand, and reminds me to take my medicine. When it came to shots, even if he doesn't give me the shot that day, he stands with me, helps with needle disposal, etc. and gives me a kiss. My bruises bother him, I know, because if he could be the one in pain, I know he would be. He takes his vitamins. He turns down beer in front of friends and family, because we want to do whatever it takes to make his samples better.
I am a hormonal mess on fertility drugs. He holds me when I cry, lets me yell and scream and loves me anyway, and has been very patient with the ups and downs I go through. The term we use is "Progesterone Rage" and he deals with it even when I'm at my worst. I have put on 30 pounds since we got married. Most of that weight came from this IF nightmare we're stuck in. Not only do the hormones affect my body, I am stressed and eating too much comfort food. I get upset about it, and even if he might be lying, he always tells me that he loves me just like I am, and I know he knows that it is all part of the process. He is my Rock.
I have always known that he was good with babies and kids. I have seen him with other people's babies, and it makes me sad that this is his dream that is not coming true too. He is going to be a terrific Dad, and through this process I've learned that being a Dad doesn't start when the baby is born. He is an awesome wannabe Dad, who has taken on this challenge to get there.
I do believe that this whole process has made us stronger as a couple. We have gone through what no couple should ever have to, and come out better. I don't know how much I want to believe that our infertility was for a reason, but I've never seen a much better example of the phrase "What doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger." Assuming this doesn't kill us, our marriage will only be stronger, and when we someday do have that baby (or two), we will be able to look back and see how hard we had to work to make that dream a reality. But we did it together, and we did it as a team, and we did it with love.
My husband rocks. How about yours?
As promised, I also did my "Before" belly pics. Ignoring the bloat that just doesn't go away anymore, here is the last belly shot before needles.

9 comments:
wow! he sounds wonderful! you're on the list :) thanks for joining! i will definitely be praying for you on your IF journey :)
aww i got a little misty there jen!
andy is such a great guy and i am so glad he is your rock - i hope that this works for you guys on time #1!
Thanks for reminding me that even through all this crap, some of us are *really* lucky.
Happy (belated) anniversary, date-twin!
What a wonderful tribute.
I too am extremely lucky to have a wonderful husband. He may not do a lot of the fantastic things your hubby does, but trust me when I say, I put him through the wringer when it comes to my emotions. He is always there with a shoulder to cry on and helping hug.
Happy belated Anniversary!!
You gotta a great husband. What a sweetie he is. :)
Sounds like you have an awesome man!!! :) I definitely think that this is making us stronger too, and without my H I don't know where I'd be. He has been amazing through the trying and the miscarriage and I really don't think I could have gotten through all of this in one piece without him. It feels amazing to know that your parter for life is someone who will do anything for you and who can take care of you even when he's hurting too.
Your husband does rock. Mine is still kind of in denial about everything. So I can only call him a pebble now. He supports me and everything, but he still believes that if we just keep trying naturally it will happen. But he isn't against any of the procedures and and stuff. Can my DH have a chat with yours. : )
What an awesome hubby to go on that journey with you with no complaints and complete support! Your hubby rocks!
Oh, and thanks for the comment! I had my friend, Kina, do my background. You can find a link to her in my blog roll. She did do a fabulous job!
Post a Comment