Monday, July 21, 2008

IVF Update

We met with the RE today to go through the consent signing process, get our protocol calendar, and make our initial payment. We sat down and answered questions like "What should we do with your frozen embryos if you both die?" and "You understand the risks of Ovarian Hyperstimulation, Ovarian Cancer, Multiples and IVF Failure rates?". Fun stuff. Basically, we decided with any worst case scenario, we were prepared. We understand the risks, we are ready to take a chance and we understand that it isn't a sure bet.

The embryo questions were pretty straight forward. The only option I didn't like for any of the embryo decisions was "dispose of the embryos". I think this is the point where it hit me. We are making babies here. It's not just a scientific experiment to see what happens, a failure of nature that occurs in my womb every month, but a miracle that takes place in a small petri dish in a lab. We (and the embryologist) are helping God along and creating life. Heavy stuff. I don't know at what point I would consider it a "baby" but as soon as those cells start dividing, it is human tissue, and a potential life.

It's starting to sink in. I never thought we would get to this step. IVF to me was for women who were older, or had major medical issues, or something. It's hard to believe that we are ready to take this step now, even though with our combination of problems it is about our only chance of having a baby. We have a 50% chance with IVF with ICSI, and our chance of multiples is about 30%.

We also got our Protocol schedule. I will take my last BCP on Saturday (good riddance! I am blaming them for my current bloated/fat feeling) and go in for my first u/s on Wednesday. On Thursday, if everything is clear, we start Stims. I will be doing 225 on the Follistim pen for two days, and then drop down to 15o after that. The RE is afraid of hyperstimulation since it happened last cycle of IUI.

Stims should be about 9 days, with Egg Retrieval approximately August 10th. We also will do 2-5 days of Ganirelix to prevent premature egg release.

There are other drugs (antibiotics, aspirin, prenatal vitamin and extra folic acid supplement) too, but not as important. We also got a copy of the egg retrieval/embryo transfer procedures, but they are too much to worry about right now.

I'm ready to get started! I guess technically as soon as we started the BCPS, we were doing an IVF cycle. Somehow, I think it will feel more real when I start sticking myself with needles.

9 comments:

Tiffanie said...

wow! i hope you have a stellar u/s on wed so you can start jamming needles into your stomach again:) that's great that you will be able to be on bedrest and/or just relax for a little while before school starts again.

Anonymous said...

Hello!

I wanted to say good luck to you. I am a fellow infertile & came across your blog today. I immediately subscribed because I too am a SIMS lover. I can't get enough of it. My husband thinks I'm nuts but who cares! :) Anyway, good luck with the IVF, I hope this is the one for you!

Paula Keller said...

Sounds like a plan to me!!!

There's something about sticking yourself that makes you feel like you've got some control in it. Which may be an illusion, but it makes me feel better.

I think, I get to start lupron Wednesday or something like that. It's a new protocol, so I don't know quite what I'm getting into.

Anonymous said...

I agree. I will definately feel more real when I start sticking myself with needles!!

Karol said...

Seems like a good time sticking needles in your stomach! (ha ha ha) Good luck!!

Fifty K said...

wishing you all the best with the IVF.

Shelli said...

Great to meet you! Looks like we will sorta be cycle buddies.

Will be following your progress and thinking positive thoughts for you!

Tabitha said...

Thank you so much for adding my blog to your list, I really appreciate it! I took some time to read through your blog and I want you to know that you will be in my prayers!

Stephanie said...

I hope that things continue to go along smoothly! I'll be thinking of you and keeping you guys in my prayers!