I don't really have any big news on the IVF front right now, I'll do an update on the little stuff soon. In the meantime, I have to share my obsession, my love, my time wasting hobby. . .The Sims.
I first fell in love with the Sims after graduating from college. I go through phases of not caring about them and then being obsessed with them. I've noticed a pattern. At points in my life where I feel the most out of control, I spend more time with them. They have a world I can control, I choose who they date, who they marry, who they are friends with, how many kids they have. I make them shower, cook dinner, pee, and have sex (sorry - Whoo hoo). I've also discovered that I'm a bit of a control freak. This interested tidbit came not from how much time I spend playing with them, but how I can't handle letting DH play with them.
I think I'm laid back and flexible most of the time. But I hand over my laptop, and find myself micromanaging. "DH, that one needs to go to work, I think she needs a nap, you need to water the plants or they will die." Usually after about 5 minutes of me reaching anxiety stage, I can't take it anymore, and take the laptop back. Because he's not playing them right. Right? It's not a pretty part of my personality, but admitting it has to be a first step in something.
A guy I knew in college had this line as his email signature. "I'd like to live in Theory. Everything always works there." Well, I'd like to propose the following reasons why some days I'd rather live in Riverblossom Hills. You know, in theory.
1. No Sim is dealing with infertility. Nope, if I want them to, I can have them pop out like 12 children. They never miscarry, have low beta numbers, or get put on bedrest. They just get pregnant, spend three days being pregnant and pop out a baby. All of my Sim families are humongous. I'm a little obsessed with the babies. Also, no one accidentally gets pregnant and then brags about it, since infertility doesn't exist unless I will it to be so.
2. To get a Sim pregnant, you have them hop into bed with a male Sim, and they "Try for Baby." When they are successful (usually the first or second time) there is a little song that plays so you know. What a fabulous thing that would be in real life. No 2ww, no waiting to miss your period, forget beta numbers, just have sex and while you're cuddling afterward, there could be that little song. I admit to actually laughing out loud having this thought after babymaking attempts with my husband (me with my hips propped up, probably during the "visualize conception" stage of innocence). He never thought it was quite as funny as I did.
3. You can make friends with anyone you want just by admiring them and hugging them. You invite them in off the street, make them something to eat, and they can stay and hang out until you are friends. Once they are your friend, they always come to your parties and they come over to help when you have a new baby. Real life friends are a lot fussier.
I could probably go on, but I'd probably lose readers if I kept going. Just know that if you don't see me online much the next few days, its because I'm busy trying to recolonize after losing all my old Sims in the great Laptop Crash of '08. It was getting a little crowded anyway.
8 comments:
That is hilarious! I absolutely LOVE the idea of a song to let you know you've conceived! What a beeeeauuuutiful fantasy! :)
Too funny. I want to live there too. I've heard about Sim, but I have never actually seen it, probably a good thing, sounds totally addicting. Be sure to pop into reality a few times to let us know how you are doing.
That song upon conception is soo cool. I can totally imagine that! Ok...I'm a dork! :)
Oh the Sims...how I miss my Sim life. Hope you are off making beautiful Sim babies!
Have you had an alien baby yet? :)
I want a song dammit!!! ;)
Oh, living in theory sounds wonderful. :) If only life could be like the Sims. It would be a dream come true!
I just might have to check out this game. I want Sims babies too!
Yea, I played SIMS for a short period of time and can relate about micromanaging game playing when hubby plays.
Hope you get that song real soon.
Post a Comment