Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Insert Something Clever Here

Because I don't have anything clever to use as a post title. I could say, Project 365 Week 3, but my friend Beth started when I did and she is on Week 5. Because she is a way better blogger than I am. Things keep getting in my way (they are sweet and adorable things, but still) and while I would love to keep the witty entries rolling out, well, at least I still take the photos every day. They are not award winning photography, and while I pictured myself using this as an opportunity to hone my photography skills, really I'm just looking for anything I can take a picture of. Typically with a flash because, well, I'm home at night, and the babies wiggle.

My life has become a somewhat endless cycle of work, pick up at the sitter, drive home, change diapers, feed dinner, change diapers, bed. Lather, rinse, repeat. There are little variations here and there, but essentially, the same thing every day. And doing it alone five nights a week? Lonely. I love these two more than anything in the world, but you know, they aren't the world's best conversationalists. Plus, they are pretty resistant to the whole going to bed part of the evening.

I've been thinking lately about just how much my little ones have changed. They are getting bigger, stronger, different. Their personalities are coming out, and I think we're getting a glimpse of our future. We're in trouble :-)

Maggie, my oldest child, has seemed wise since the day she was born. I thought something was wrong with her in the hospital. Like autistic wrong. Because whose day old baby girl stayed awake in her incubator staring out at the world? Looking you straight in the eye like she knew all your secrets, looking out and studying her world. She still takes in the world just like that. She picks things up, studies them, shakes them, tastes them, puts them in order on the ground. She will sit and play and play and play, independent. She loves her snugglies, especially her monkey. She buries her face in them and just smiles and smiles when you hand it to her. She will only occasionally let me snuggle her, and after that last entry, the day she bit me, she hasn't nursed. She decided when to start, she decided when to stop. For five months, I nurtured her, soothed her, snuggled her, put her to sleep that way. She weaned herself and I can't remember the last time she nursed peacefully.

Ben, who was born a sleepy, snuggly boy who was always pretty content has turned into a nonstop ball of motion. He rolls, he crawls (without lifting his belly from the floor), he pulls up. He crawls over to me, pulls up on me, gets up on his knees, crying, whining. Then I pick him up and he wants back down. He bounces, he giggles and laughs, he thinks he is hysterical. He makes a lot of loud noises. He swats at things with his hands, tries to stuff the whole graham cracker in his mouth. We have started calling him Kamikazi Ben. He tries to hurl himself off the changing table, out of my arms. He is all boy. When he discovered his voice, it was a loud one. He likes to yell "Bah!" really loud and if you yell it back, he cracks up. He is snuggly when he is sleepy. He is a total Mama's boy.

I wanted to put the pictures in here and just realized that blogger won't let me put them at the end. Big sigh. I guess they go in another post after all. Lost is over, and really I should be in bed. Who do I think I am, it's 11:00!

No comments: