So, it was never my intention to really make this a private blog (because really, if I wanted to be private, I have a journal for that), but it's occured to me that if I don't tell anyone about my blog, no one will read it. Now see, right now, there really isn't much here. I'm not promising that this is ever going to really get good, but for now I'm thinking I won't tell anyone about it. Because, really, who's going to want to read my two measly little posts? When I don't have any fun links posted yet to my friends blogs, or pictures because of my stupid computer issues? I'm not pregnant, heck right now we are not even trying until we get the word on IVF from our doctor. The only thing I'm doing right now is going to classes and reading.
And reading. And reading. In one of my classes last year, we talked about something called Bibliotherapy that was supposed to be helpful for gifted children. I don't know what it's called when a 30 year old woman is reading through her local library, but that's what I am doing. It drives DH (my dear husband for anyone not familiar in Nestie abbreviations) crazy. I'm not sure why he's ashamed that I'm a good reader, but we'll leave that for another day. The thing I find funny is my major shift in material. I have been a lover of romance novels forever. Right now, I am sick and tired of happy endings. Especially of the let's get married, and guess what we're pregnant variety. I like mysteries these days. Murder mysteries. I am on a Stephanie Plum roll. Funny books, that's what I need. And if that sounds like therapy for infertility? I think I'm on it. Good thing there isn't a max on my library card.
I want to share something I put in a paper I had to write for class. I'm a teacher. This is my somewhat sarcastic list of the rules I would love to give to parents if I wouldn't get fired:
1. Check your child’s agenda daily. They write down what we need you to know. Read it, don’t just sign it. It makes you look bad.
2. Have a quiet place at home for homework. Make homework important for your child. If you whine about it, they will whine about it. It IS more important than soccer practice, even thought I know you don’t agree with that.
3. Read to your child. They will like it, I promise. You may not like reading. Guess what? It shows, and it influences them to not like reading. Fake it. It’s what good parents and teachers do.
4. Help your child with their homework. Sometimes that just means check to make sure they are doing it, and that they understand the directions. Don’t do it for them. I’m a smart teacher, I can tell when it is not a 9 year olds work being turned in. Plus, your kids are bad liars and will rat you out eventually.
5. Make them go to bed early, and don’t let them watch whatever they want on TV. Yes, this may make them not like you all the time, but that’s not your job. My job is easier when your children are well rested. They will learn more. And the TV is bad for them, especially if you aren’t supervising.
6. Don’t criticize me in front of your children. It makes me look bad, and it makes them uncomfortable in my classroom. You don’t always have to like me either. I’m a trained professional in my field, and I do what is in the best interest of the students. In addition, your children tend to exaggerate to you. I am not sure why you would believe some of their stories, but when you do, and you call or email me with your concerns, and I’m right, and your child lied, how are going to feel?
7. Please email me if you have concerns. If you call and I am teaching, I will not answer the phone. I also do not have time in the hallway while I have 25 kids in the room to have a conference with you. You can call me to set one up when I am not in charge of my class.
8. Please read things that I send home. I send a study guide home for tests and we send home a weekly newsletter. I also try to send home reminders for things that are due at school. If you do not read it, it is a waste of my time to write it. Also, when your child is unprepared, or when they are the last one to turn in money for the field trip, or they miss the deadline for yearbooks, they feel bad. If they are not dressed for picture day, and you get mad, remember they are 9, and you are the parent.
9. Your children need to learn study skills. It is much easier for you to do this at home. I do what I can at school, but when it comes to preparing for tests your child will do best when you are one on one with his/her questions. I had a parent this year that made up practice math problems based on the study guide for her daughter for every test. Guess whose child always did well? Do you want her email address?
10. If something is bothering your child at home, please tell me about it. Especially if it is something happening at school that they are not telling me about. As much as I like to think I know everything, if Maria is being mean to Ally on the playground, and Ally is coming home in tears every day, I need to know that. You are not tattling on someone else’s child, you are helping me to help both of the children. They don’t always tell me, and it is important.
I turned that in. We'll see how my professor likes it, but hey, it was a response paper.
8 comments:
Why couldn't you be Kyla's teacher? They so far seem to just want to get through their school year without speaking to parents at all.
Too bad you can't send that home with every kid at the begining of every school year. Yea for teachers.
good blog
OH, i would love to send those out to parents. There are so many times I've had to bite my tongue to keep from saying many of those exact things. I hope your professor enjoys it as much as I did. A+ from one teacher to another.
i like your list. i htink your professor should appreciate it too.
I love your rules...and I'm not above telling some of my parents these things!
Jen, I hope when my kids get in school they have a wonderful, caring teacher like you!!!
Great list. I hope we get you or another great teacher for our little one. Keep up the great work! =)
I, too, am a 30 year old teacher, but with 2 dogs and 2 cats. I wish I could give this list out to all of my parents. Welcome to the blogosphere and good luck with your IVF cycle!
Post a Comment