Friday (11w5d) I called the RE to ask about heating pads and Therma Care for my back pain (which finally seems better - thank God!). Since I had the nurse on the phone, I also asked if she could tell me what they considered the second trimester. Since when I looked it up last week, I discovered that I could be considered in my second trimester on one of those nifty IVF calculators.
If I want to go by Development: October 19. By Gestation: October 29. By Conception: November 6. Huh? Okay, that was confusing enough. Until nurse looks at my chart and says, oh, well you'll be 11 weeks tomorrow, so. . . .
Wait, wait, back up. I said, "I thought I would be 12 weeks on Sunday" to which she checks my chart again and then explains to me that the way they calculate it, you count back 14 days from your ET and use that as the first day of your last menstrual period and count from there. I almost laughed. These are the people who took my husband's sperm and used a needle to insert it into an egg. Then they took these embryos and put them in me. But we're using the good old make up an imaginary period and date it from there? I'm pretty sure we all know when conception occured. In the petri dishes.
So that left me all weekend contemplating the fact that I might only be 11 weeks. And my belly pics and blog entries would all be off, and I would lose a week in my quest for the second trimester goal. Oh, and here might be a good place to stick in that I'm worried about not gaining any weight yet. Clearly it is redistributing in my body, but I'm worried I'm not getting enough for the babies.
I had an appointment today, and planned to ask my doctor about our week dilemna. So in walks, well hobbles, our RE (the old one is back in the saddle, so to speak, even in a leg brace), who looks at my chart and says "You're 12 weeks now, right?" I said, "I think so" and so he decided we should go ahead and do the NT scan today! I'm sticking with my measurements (and his) from here on out!
Everything looked great. Here are the nuggets in their latest u/s. It took forever to get a shot of Baby B. Apparently Baby B's have a rough time. They are farther away from the "exit", are harder to find with the ultrasound, harder to monitor during labor, etc. Our little nugget was really resisting the ultrasound for the NT scan.
Nugget A:
Tonight's belly pics (that shirt is going to have to go to the back of the closet, methinks):
Last weekend we went apple picking. Apples are one of the foods right now that taste really good, all the time. So of course, being dorks. . .
And finally, since I missed this last week, my 11 week belly. I know it's just the shirts, but I think I look bigger in this one!
7 comments:
I'm glad that the babies are looking great! We have our NT scan on Thursday and I'm sort of scared about it. I just pray the little ones will be looking ok in there. Thanks for sharing your belly pics too! My belly is definitely looking bigger, but it is still a 2 lump belly...they have not formed one unified bump yet. Maybe someday soon they will.
Isn't that crazy about dating? I love it when they change it based on an ultrasound, when you KNOW when conception is because of IUI or IVF. Funny that the nurse said it was calculated by ET instead of ER. ???? Anyways, I'm glad the NT looked good, and your apple pics are cute!
It's great to see those pics of the little "nuggets", they are getting so big! So you'll be in your second trimester next week?!
Beth
I know what you mean.
One place tells me I am in the safe zone now, the other tells me I will be in another week, and then someone else says something about not being in the second tri until week 14??
So confusing.
I love apples too! I never really ate them until I got pregnant and now I eat them all the time. I made Britt go to the store the other night to get me some fruit!
Your babies look great and so do you! Your belly is so cute and round! I still have what looks like a beer gut! :)
Lookin good!
My ultrasound due date was 5 DAYS (!) later than my IVF due date. I just go by whatever is most convenient. Usually the one that makes me further ahead, since I am also getting the "exactly how pregnant are you, you be huge, woman" type comments.
You have to love pregnancy math. I'm glad everything is looking good with the babies. Cute belly :)
Post a Comment