Monday, January 13, 2014

Since we've been gone. . .

There was an article floating around the internets lately about "So, you would like to have three children" that really, really hit home.  Several key points that I would like to reiterate.  And I would like my husband to read.  

There is never a time when someone doesn't need something.  Frequently for me, this is everyone at the same time wants milk, a snack, help in the bathroom, an answer to "where is my (fill in the random toy here)" that you haven't seen question, and frequently all this is happening while I have to do something crazy like answer a work email or pee.  

School logistics.  This year, I have two kids that are in preschool four days a week, for approximately 2 1/2 hours.  When you add in the 15 minutes in the car in each direction (twice), the walking in to get them and loading up the car at the end, this is a lot of time in my day doing transportation.  Next year, I will have two kids in half day kindergarten, and one in preschool three days a week.  If I keep them on the neighborhood bus schedule, our neighborhood apparently does PM kindergarten.  Mia is signed up for AM preschool.  If I put the twins in AM kindergarten, I am responsible for my own transportation.  I don't even want to think about the logistics of this.  

Noise and mess.  There is always someone talking.  It used to only be Maggie, but now it is Ben too.  If you don't answer him, or acknowledge the comment immediately he will repeat it until you do.  Sometimes when he is trying to get Andy's attention I count.  "Daddy?"  "Daddy"  "Daddy?"  He has gotten to 15 without being deterred.  I have desperate, Pinterest fueled aspirations to be more organized, but no one else in my family seems to get it.  We get better, we get worse, but oh my God, the mess.    

I don't want to talk about my laundry and dishes problem, but OH MY GOD the laundry and the dishes.  Thankfully I have help.  I wish I could say it was my children or my husband, but our super organized and helpful, we don't pay her enough babysitter is coming back tomorrow and I am thrilled.  I do dishes and laundry all the time, and if I don't, I pay for it the next day because the kitchen looks like a bomb exploded and I am out of underwear.    

I don't have the time or energy for pursuits like blogging, reading or good photography, but I have a whole lot of photos I am behind on.  Yes, I am going to dump them all here, and yes, you will be grateful.  

So, since we've been gone. . .

Thanksgiving happened.  We had my best friend Beth and her family come up to stay with us, and it was a lot of fun.  

First things first, how in the world did this happen?  We have 6 kids between us!  

  There was dancing.  



 The girls decided they would like a baby sister.  They will make due with a baby cousin coming in February.
 We had Thanksgiving dinner with at my Grandma's house, with all the traditional fixings.  Mia got her entire dinner catered by Mama and Nama, and I was so happy to see her eating normal food.
 Mia made a new friend in a cousin from Georgia.
 And the girls posed for adorable photos.



We even managed a date night!  

We attempted to take some photos for Christmas cards. . .didn't work out, but we got some pretty cute pictures out of it!  






After Thanksgiving, we decorated a lot of Christmas trees.  

 Oh yeah, and Andy broke his finger the day before Thanksgiving.






Oh yeah, and this started happening on a more regular basis.  Sorta.  

We've had some warm days.  




And some cold ones.  




We went out on a super cold day and found the perfect Christmas tree.  






 We decorated for Christmas.

The kids continued working on their portfolio shots for the World's Cutest Kid contest they are certain to be in someday.  
























I figured out that even though I can never catch things with my mouth, photographing the kids trying was pretty hilarious.  




 We worked.
 Ben started writing, and the first word he asked me to help him with??  Love.  Mommy melted.
 Mia defied her allergies by snuggling cats and eating inappropriate things like peanuts and m&m's.
 We saw Santa a couple of times.




 Ben and Maggie had an adorable Christmas show at preschool, where there were angels, toy soldiers, the entire Nativity scene and inexplicably a Christmas Rodeo dance they did with partners.  











We've done a lot of dancing.  





In fact, I finally achieved my dream of owning my own disco ball.  I mean, what else can I do?  My house came with a dance floor, mirrors, strobe lights, a spotlight and a rotating base for the disco ball.  I just had to get the ball, and we are all set.    


We spent a lot of time in the kitchen, washing potatoes, frosting cookies, making pies, eating frosting.  













Ben spent too much time with the girls.  


We pretty much had the best Christmas ever.  

















The girls frequently play doctor, and have even developed a Doc McStuffin's kind of clinic in the living room.  

Sadly though, we lost one of our real patients.  Izzie was brought home on a whim 5 years ago, and was never much a fan of ours until October when she was diagnosed with a giant tumor.  She got friendlier, cuddlier, let the kids play with her, but went rapidly downhill a week or so ago.  Maggie considered her "her" cat, and it was so hard to have to put her to sleep, without being able to explain exactly what that meant.  Right before we left for the appointment with the vet, Maggie wanted to take her picture.  She posed Kee with Izzie, and this is the last picture I took.  

I didn't mean to leave this on a bad note, but that was the last photo I wanted to post.  It has been a crazy November, December, beginning of January, and I hope that next time, I won't be summing up so many months at once.  

I hope everyone who reads this is doing well, had a great holiday, and are poised for a fabulous 2014!  

No comments: