Sunday, June 24, 2012

Everything but the rainbow balloon arch

I wanted to post some pictures from Mia's birthday party, partly because of all the things I did only because I saw them on someone else's blog or pinterest page.  Maybe we can inspire someone else.  

So, welcome to Mia's 1st Birthday party, with our "You are My Sunshine" Sunshine and Rainbows theme.  

Here's the birthday girl, in her birthday apparel. It is hard to see it here, but the onesie was made by a fellow MoM, you can check out her blog.  The Tutu was an Etsy find, I would have made my own, but by the time I would have bought all the shades of tulle, this one was cheaper.  She looked adorable.  Oh, and that fascinator?  Hobby Lobby for the headband and pink flower, yellow feathers are clipped to the back and are leftover from her Duck costume at Halloween :-)  

Everyone color coordinated for the day with our yellows and oranges theme.


Some of the decor.  Month by month pictures on clothespins on a ribbon hanging inside.
I loved this when I saw it on someone's page.  Instead of crepe paper or cheap looking decorations for the high chair, I cut strips of fabric and tulle and threaded them with a needle and thread.  The fabric was from Fat Quarters on sale at JoAnn's.  We made the birthday sign.
The favor bags were three for a dollar at the dollar store, we just gave out simple favors including bubbles and a cookie.
Sign for the front door.
The birthday banner I made.  One of these years I am going to go the fabric route and make a reusable one. You can also see some of my tissue paper puffs.  
The tables and more puffs.
I think my inlaws even planted thematically appropriate flowers.
My aunt made this adorable cake and Mia's smash cake.  The outside was so cute, but the inside was really the star of the show.  
My Mom made the adorable sunshine cookies.  Perfect colors!
 The food spread, balloons and the yellow lantern.
The rainbow fruit skewers.  Didn't Andy do a nice job?
 Okay, back to the cute birthday girl.
She mainly dined on bread, but that wasn't much of a surprise.
I knew she was going to like the cake.  I had no idea if she would figure out that she was supposed to dive in and eat it though.
I love that it looks like she is blowing in this picture.  If you look carefully, you can see Maggie and Ben are both right there helping her blow it out.
She was not a fan of the headband that day.
Hey, this is pretty good.

Before we opened presents, we watched my Mia slideshow.  I had really planned to just run it in the background during the day, but the weather was so beautiful that we spent most of the time outside, and it wouldn't have worked.  I put it to music, and the kids all danced around and sang.  It was pretty adorable.
And at the end of the day, she passed out on Andy's aunt, and took an hour long nap.  Too pooped to party, but oh so adorable.  

If you are wondering about the title, I think I should explain that the highlight of my outdoor decor, where I imagined us taking a lot of pictures of the birthday girl was supposed to be a large rainbow arch.  I had pinned it, and talked to Andy about it, and he thought it would be pretty easy to pull off.  He spent a lot of time helping his parents get ready for the party, and kept telling me not to worry, he would get the arch done.  

Do you see a rainbow arch made out of the 72 balloons I purchased?  Tied together with the fishing line I left with them?  No?   

Parties make me a little edgy.  And by edgy, I mean last year when I was actually in therapy, my psychologist advised that I let go of one of my holidays I was preparing for, because obviously it was making my anxiety levels go through the roof.  There are two things at play.  One, that I am a planner, and I have this vision in my head of how I want things to go, but I need a lot of help to get there.  Andy is more of an executor.  I tell him what needs done and he does it.  So when I am making birthday banners, and printing off pictures for the clothesline, and creating a multimedia slideshow, he is the one doing the grocery shopping, mowing the backyard and arranging for tents and tables.  

I am pretty sure I brought up the balloon thing 27 times in the few days before the party.  I was repeatedly assured that it was under control, not to worry about it.  And yet, the day of the party, he ran out of time.  

In the grand scheme of things, no big deal.  Everything was fine without it.  My Dad and a few other people started blowing some of them up and the kids all enjoyed running around the yard playing with them, whacking each other with them, and enjoyed them.  

We had a good party.  We have a beautiful baby girl who is now one.  I love my husband and our little family.  
But next year, or next party, or some random weekend I want to take photos?  He owes me a damn balloon arch.

No comments: