You are my sunshine.
And sweetheart, you are. Since the moment you were born, you have brought nothing but sunshine into our lives. We went from tired parents dealing with two year olds who were testing and fighting, and just being toddlers, to parents who also had this happy, smiling newborn to remind them that children are supposed to be a joy, not just a challenge. Having the experience of having you the "normal" way, keeping you with me from the moment you were born, and having you breastfeed right away and without issues, you gave me an experience that made me feel so much better about being a Mom. Everything has felt natural with you. Except for in the beginning where I would forget that you needed to have your head supported while I was helping your sister on the potty, or something like that, I have been able to cart you around in one arm and do everything else with one hand. I know that having twins first might make you seem like a breeze, and I hope I'm not offending everyone who doesn't have twins because I say that all the time. It could be having one, it could just be you. But one baby is just easy!
You are easily the happiest baby anyone knows. Since well before I think you were supposed to do it, you have smiled all the time. I do wonder occasionally if it is the fact that I had been on Zoloft my entire pregnancy and your entire nursing career, but I really hope it is just your personality. You are loving and snuggly, and have a big wide open smile that you give to your Mommy and Daddy and brother and sister all the time. When you are around other people, you might be a little more shy, so you snuggle on Mommy or Daddy's shoulder and peek at them with a shy smile. You are social. I don't know if it is just because you have Ben and Maggie to watch all the time, but you are just the most engaging baby. People talk about you all the time when you are out with us. You ride in the cart, or the stroller and wiggle back and forth like you are saying "go, go, go" with your body and your arms. You like going fast. You like the car moving, and you love going "bye bye" with us in the carseat.
And we go bye-bye all the time. You go to the zoo, the playground, the beauty salon, the library, everywhere the twins go. I have perfected the three kids, one double stroller thing by either carting you around in a Moby or the Becco, or putting you in the double with Maggie or Ben and having one of them walk. It is actually not that hard to do, but people look at me like I am superwoman sometimes for doing things with all of you in tow.
Having the three of you is amazing. Being an only child I don't know if I ever really understood what it would mean to add a sibling to the family. Bringing you home made me realize that you don't just belong to us, you belong to them. You will always be their baby sister, and from the beginning, my darling, how they have loved you. I was putting together the slideshow for your birthday party, and there were so many pictures of you with your sister. The pictures of her meeting you in the hospital, and looking at your tiny toes, and kissing you. So many times this year I have asked one of them to hold you for a picture, and Maggie is always the one reaching for you. She described, out of the blue, about a month ago, coming to see you in the hospital. As near as I can tell, you are her first real memory.
The moments that melt my heart are you with them. Seeing them hug and kiss you, rub your head, sing to you when you are sad, climb into your crib to comfort you when you are crying and Mommy is in the shower, just seeing that makes my heart just swell. Having three under three was not the plan. You are by far, the best surprise I have ever gotten. But having you close in age I hope will keep you close. The three of you will grow up together, and if we raise you the way I hope to, you will always be friends, there to love and support each other.
You are a smart little girl. You talk all the time, in these long strings of vowels and consonants, sometimes sounding like real words, sometimes sounding like, well, a chicken. We actually think Bocka Bocka means Maggie. Ben is Buh. You say Daddy, Dada (which means me too), hi, bye bye, bread, uh-oh, and a bunch of other things that sound like you are repeating what we say. You surely like to be heard. When your Great Grandpa passed away, we took you to the church and graveside services, and you talked the whole time. Happy sounds, so no one minded. I told everyone you had a lot to say to God that day.
You wave, you clap, you blow kisses and play peekaboo. When you are tired, you rub your eyes and want your Mama. We will not be weaning anytime soon, you are still very Mommy dependent, and I honestly don't know another way to put you to sleep. You are crawling very fast now, pulling up on things and even cruising a bit on the couch or pushing along a toy. You sometimes crawl with your legs straight and your butt up in the air, something silly to see, and I have no idea where it came from. You are attempting to climb the stairs and know you are being naughty when you do it.
Speaking of naughty, you are so funny to me when you are being bad. Maybe it is because I have seen the other side of toddlerhood, and it isn't pretty. When I find you splashing in the dog dish, or pulling on my laptop cord, or throwing your food to the dog and saying Uh-Oh, it is hard not to smile. Ben and Maggie like to help, they say "Trouble, Mia" and try to help me keep an eye on you. They are not as good as they were, or maybe it is just that you are getting older, but it is much harder to keep track of you. You are a girl on the move.
Bread. Bread, bread, bread right now, that is all you want to eat. I butter it, in our constant attempt to fatten you up just a little, and you will have one to two pieces a meal. You are an awesome eater, always have been, and I hope you stay that way, but remember that the other kids at the breakfast table who exist on sunshine and rainbows used to be good eaters too.
I can't believe you are going to be one. It seems like it went by so fast, and I am not ready for you to grow up. You are my baby, you are our baby, and I will miss this so much when you get bigger. You know, I knew as soon as we had the twins that our family wasn't complete. That I wanted to do this again. When I lost my job, and lost a baby, I thought there was no way things would get better.
And then there was you. Mia, my sweet baby girl, you changed my life for the better. You have made me a better Mommy, brought sunshine into my life. It's funny, because I know as a Mommy how much kids need their parents. I pick you up when you are crying and you put your head on me, you calm down. Your breath slows to normal, your heart rate slows down. I can feel you physically calming down just from being held by your Mommy. But the thing is, I can't tell you how many times over this past year that I picked you up, snuggled you close, sniffed your head, nuzzled your cheek, and felt the same feelings in myself. Calming down. Feeling better. Because of you.
I love you Amelia Elizabeth. You are my Sunshine, my Littlest Sunshine, and you surely make me happy when skies are grey.
| Newborn |
| 1 month |
| 2 months |
| 3 months |
| 4 months |
| 5 months |
![]() |
| 6 months |
| 7 months |
| 8 months |
| 9 months |
| 10 months |
| 11 months |
![]() |
| 12 months |
Love, Mommy


2 comments:
A beautiful letter to a beautiful little girl. Hope you had as much fun on your birthday as we did. We love you.
Nama and Grandpa
you know, i knew better than to read this without a tissue near by :)
we are so thankful to have celebrated your birthday with you, Mia. And to have watched you grow this past year - your Mommy is right - you really are a little ray of sunshine, your smile can brighten any room. And your brother and sister really do love you a lot, and so does their BFF Gianna :)
Post a Comment