And another big milestone today - I am officially able to say that I am as pregnant as I have ever been. I delivered Maggie and Ben at 36w5d, and I have had that number in my head for so long that it will be strange to have another to remember. But as of today I am 36w6d, and wondering how long this baby is going to take before she makes her grand appearance. I had an ultrasound last week and she is measuring a week ahead and approximatley 6 lbs 14 oz. Which already sounds huge to me for a newborn! She went ahead and turned around head down, as long as she and my body cooperate, I think I'm ready to officially say that I'm going to try for a VBAC. I can still change my mind, but I think that it would be a good fit for us, and a better start for me to my life as a Mommy of three. Hopefully I have at least a couple more weeks because I don't feel like we are at all ready. There's still a little part of me in denial that this is actually happening. It's not just a river in Egypt, you know.
We had a nice memorial day weekend, but I had a sad realization looking through our pictures. I know I've said before that one of my issues frequently is that I catch things like Andy's knees and other peoples body parts in the background of my pictures. It's not easy to get a great angle when I'm taking pictures of the kids, and right now, I'm not exactly moving around smoothly to reposition my shots all the time. Since there are often other adults around when I am taking pictures (especially since the little ones are not always cooperative) it is always an issue. I do try to include other people in my candids though. Looking back through family events, or photos from when the babies were newborns, you would see picture after picture of my husband holding a baby, or playing with a baby, everyone who came to visit them, tender shots of grandma's snuggling their grandbabies. . .and occasionally a shot of me. Or a part of me.
Now, to be fair, I am always the one with the camera. If I hand it off to other people, I am typically trying to pose a shot, and well, we've seen how well that works for me lately. My parents when they are around like to try to include me in pictures (maybe because I'm their only child, or maybe because my Mom has heard this lament before), but they are not always, um, flattering. So this weekend, especially since I am feeling pretty cumbersome, I had Andy take some pictures. Thinking I might be in some of them. Well, I am.
Can you see me? In the first one, that made me kind of sad, I am even smiling. You can tell I thought Andy was trying to include me in the picture of the kids watching the parade. It's not the most flattering angle or anything, but well, sometimes it's nice to just have photo proof that my kids do have a mother who does things with them. The second one is practically a belly shot. Well, belly and knees, but you know what I mean.
I guess this is a common problem when you are the family photographer. I can show you the camera, but I can't teach you on the spot composition. I can try to adjust the settings to make it easier for you, but I can't do everything. I don't stick my hand up during sweet or tender moments with my kids yelling "take my picture please!" For some reason this weekend it was really bugging me.
Okay, enough complaining, especially since Andy was reading over my shoulder for much of this post and feeling bad. Well sorry, I don't write it for you!
Back to Memorial Day, and then a few photos to play catch up from other things that happened in May.
We went to the parade with my parents. It was lucky for us that it wasn't until probably half way through that they realized that people were throwing candy. When Daddy and Grandpa took them out to the street to collect candy, they thought that was the neatest thing ever.
We went to my inlaws for dinner and brought along our baby pool since it was 90ish that day. It was kinda funny that a lot of pools open Memorial Day weekend, and ours was one of them this year, lol. The water was really cold, Maggie seemed to love it, Ben was a little unsure, and my nephew spent a lot of time splashing and dumping water out of the pool. All in all, good times had by all.
Looking back at my blog I realized I never really posted pictures from Mother's Day. As always, my plan involved group photos, and certain people (hint - they are wearing bathing suits above) were not cooperating. Mainly the one in the trunks. Here are some of the good, the bad and the ugly from Mother's Day.
We gave up.
But hey, this one was cooperative for his one month photo shoot! It's nice to have practice with my nephew and to think that for awhile at least, I should have one child who can't run away for photos.
The next event to catch up on is Andy's cousin's wedding in May. I had a horrible time with photos at the reception in the forms of a dying flash, weird lighting conditions, and my own unpreparedness of thinking ahead about settings for the camera. Oh, and the fact that I was chasing toddlers all over the place, pregnant and in heels. This was another of those Mommy took most of the pictures night, but Daddy caught a couple of Mommy. . .I still can't believe he missed what I thought would have made the best shot - Me, 8 1/2 months pregnant, in heels, holding Maggie and doing the electric slide. Boo. Here are a few of my favorites and or outtakes, I'll let you guess which are which.
On May 20, just like last year, we went outside wearing blue to blow bubbles for JW. JW is the son of a friend from my MoM group who passed away last year from respiratory complications. His Mommy is a remarkably strong woman, and I wish I didn't know anyone who had a story like hers.
And last but not least, a playdate with two of our best buddies. Olivia, the daughter of my friend Jen and Gianna the daughter of my friend Andrea. Ben definitely enjoys hanging out with all of the girls, although he needs to work a little on his game. That first pictures looks a little like he might be holding the door for Olivia, but really, he is trying to car jack her. In the rest, just some girly girls hanging out, playing with bubbles and chalk. In the last one I just had to laugh - Gianna is a day younger than my two and an entire head taller than Maggie. No one believes they are the same age!
And with that, I'm off. Happy June. It's going to be a crazy month, a crazy year, and the start of an even crazier life. As I've heard somewhere on TV (don't want to go there), it's a crazy life but it's our life. Big things coming soon!
1 comment:
HAPPY, HAPPY Birthday!
OH RIDICULOUS CUTENESS! As always!
So funny, Ben trying to carjack Olivia's wheels!
So, I'd be totally proud of the pictures I took if I were you. I have a bazillion (ok 1,400?) pictures on my iPhone of the girls - TAKEN on my iPhone. So you know what quality they are. I mean, the compositions are pretty good, but I am sooooo lazy when it comes to cameras and charging batteries. We actually have a decent, albeit older, Nikon and I just can't be bothered with all of that keeping the battery charged and uploading with a card, etc.
You would think my family would realize that I need something easier and buy something for me - but no! ;)
I'm not in many of our pictures either.
Congrats on making it past 36w5d. I was like an HOUR past 37 weeks and felt like I'd accomplished amazing things-then the nurses were all... "oh, they are acting like preemies, blah, blah, blah..." which really bummed me out. Do they have any idea how hard it is to carry twins? Oh well.
Lovely post!
Post a Comment