Sunday, January 25, 2009

Adventures in Labor and Delivery, Nursery updates, etc.

What an interesting week we've had. Last weekend, I had started to get worried since I had only been feeling baby girl, and nothing from the baby boy side of my uterus. Since movement before that had been pretty regular, it seemed strange. I called my doctor Tuesday, and he sent me into Labor and Delivery for monitoring. I left school in a panic, As soon as they were able to find baby boy's heartbeat I felt silly and was ready to go home. Of course they kept me for a couple of hours and we even got a free peek at the rugrats. They were fine, just squirming away. The next day I woke up to the gentle tapping and kicking from his side, just like normal. Little booger.

Wednesday I went in for an ultrasound, and got some pretty nice pictures. More on that later, since I have too much else to post here!


Thursday I woke up just feeling really pregnant. I was uncomfortable, I was crabby, and just felt off all day. To top it off, I had a really bad day at work, and I left school feeling more frustrated and upset than I have all year with the things that happen there. In the car on the way to the chiropractor, I couldn't stop crying, and eventually felt a contraction that I figured was not to be unexpected.


Unfortunately, after my appointment, they started up again, and after having about 8 in a row, I called my doctor. He told me to lay down, drink some water, and to call back if I had 4 more in the next hour because I would be going to the hospital. 15 minutes later, I was on contraction number 5 and I called him back. Back to Labor and Delivery. As we were checking in, I mentioned we had been there 2 days ago, so she replied "You probably haven't moved or changed insurance since then, right?" and I got to skip the initial questions.


We were sent back to triage and hooked up to the monitors and while the babies were fine and squirming away, I was having mild contractions. They slowed down at the hospital, but were still enough to be concerning. On top of that, they checked my cervix (my first time with that lovely experience) and I was found to be a fingertip dilated. I was given a shot of Terbutaline and monitored for a few hours.


I was discharged around midnight with a prescription for Procardia to keep the contractions away and told to stay home from work until I could see my doctor early the next week. My discharge instructions said to stay off my feet as much as possible. Friday I was fine, but yesterday was a busier day.


First of all, our cribs arrived! We decided to set up the bedding to see how it would look, and I'm pretty pleased with the end result. Now we're just waiting on the dresser (hopefully it won't take too long!).

We finished hanging up all of the clothes we have so far. . .I suspect that after my shower Sunday we'll have quite a few more! Not in the closet are the three strollers we have now, lol. By the end of the day yesterday, I was feeling really uncomfortable. My entire belly ached, I had felt about 3 or 4 contractions during the day. My whole body kind of hurt, and I wasn't sure if it was a side effect of the drugs, or just the effects of my uterus overworking itself on Thursday. Before I went to bed I decided to call the nurseline my insurance company had provided as part of a maternity monitoring program. The nurse that I talked to was very nice, but I kind of got scolded for doing too much on Saturday (all without leaving the house!). My instructions from her were to do only one trip up and down the stairs today, drink more water and spend most of the day laying down, not just sitting down. She said that sitting and walking and going up and down the stairs would bring the full weight of my uterus down on my cervix, and that was what was making me uncomfortable. It all made sense, and she answered a lot of questions for me. She suspects the doctor will be putting me on bedrest Monday, and I think she is right.
So today was my first day of trying to follow stricter bedrest rules. . .here's the view from the bed this morning. I think that if nothing else, all three pets will be keeping me company up there! I relocated to the couch after a couple of hours, and have felt 100% better today with no more contractions.
We'll see where we go from here. I had a couple other photos to share, my 25 week belly picture (we forgot after the crazy week - in the glider is as good as it gets!), and my newborn diaper stash so far. I'm so excited about cloth diapering, and we're almost ready!


Well, that's all for now. Expect more blogging if I'm stuck on house arrest!

5 comments:

Evergreen said...

I'm glad they were able to stop contractions, but you should definitely follow their instructions on bed rest. I'm glad you furbabies will keep you company. Great looking nursery! I love the 2 tone walls.

kate said...

Oh I'm glad things are going well overall. I love the babies bedding! Hope all stays well. You'll be in my thoughts.
I love your stash too. Will you share what you've gotten so far? I would like to cd also, but I am having such a hard time deciding on what to go with.

Shelli said...

Your closet looks so neat!

Put your feet up, and take it easy.

JenM said...

Hey Kate,

Here's what's in my stash so far, keeping in mind it's for 2. 24 preemie prefolds, 24 newborn prefolds, 1 kissaluv size 0 (will be renting 24 or 36 from Sunshine diapers), assorted covers in preemie and newborn sizes(litewraps, proraps, bummis superbrites, thirsties), 5 snappis, 30 cloth wipes (will be making or buying more), 2 wetbags. . .I think that's it for now!

andrea said...

THE ROOM LOOKS AWESOME!!!!
and so does the mama!!

I can't believe all of the stuff you guys have - it's amazing!
I hope the appt goes ok today. keep those feet up!!