Monday, June 17, 2013

The Birthday Blog

2013 does not seem like it is going to be a big year for this blog.  This is I believe post number 4?  In June?  And since the last post I did was birthday eve in APRIL for Pete's sake, maybe that is what this will become.  Just a place for birthday letters, because who the heck has time for anything else?

I have started and not finished two different posts.  Both of them being birthday related, because I didn't even feel like the April birthday post was enough.  There is so much going on in my house, so much going on in my head, and so much I don't want to forget about them at this age.  All three of my kids are getting so big.  It is ridiculous the conversations we have, the thoughts in their brains, the sweet moments, the sassy moments and everything in between.  

Today was Mia's birthday party.  Tomorrow is her second birthday, and I want it to just stop.  I don't want her to get any bigger.  Sure the diapers will probably get old, but she is just so damn sweet and funny, and cute.  She tells you everything she is thinking, narrates everything she is doing.  She is bossy, and funny, and I just want to bottle her up and keep her like this, just like this.  We won't get these moments back, we won't remember all of them forever, and it makes me incredibly sad to think about that.  

My baby is going to be two tomorrow.  Stop growing, Miss Mia, just stop.  

Dear Mia, 

I have 53 minutes before it is officially your birthday.  You passed out a little before 8 since nap was skipped today, and you were exhausted.  I thought it would be easy to sit down and write this post since you were sleeping and every kid in this house was in bed by 8:30.  

Except right now, running around in my living room, dragging her milk in her new wagon, rolling the bean bag chair around and repeating "I trying" and having a dance party in the living room is my little party girl.  

I don't have a sibling dynamic to fall back on for reference, but I seem to remember friends of mine who were the older siblings complaining about how the baby in the family is spoiled and can get away with anything.  So far, yeah, I can see how that happens.  You don't have a great bedtime, you are frequently awake with us well past a toddler bedtime, you can say things like "My milk, get it, get it!" and, well, we do. I am only a little embarrassed to admit that you are still rocked to sleep.  And to nap.  I blame you entirely, you are so snuggly, and warm, and you lay on my shoulder and breathe on my neck and play with my hair or rub my neck if you are particularly sleepy or in need of comfort.  After nursing for 20+ months, I got so used to our nightly routine that when I don't rock you to sleep it just feels funny.  You sometimes get plopped in bed with a "see you later", but more often then not, rocking you is a much enjoyed break in the day.  

You hug with your whole body, and give kisses on the lips.  You are such a sweet and loving little girl.  You love Mommy and Daddy, Maggie and Ben (who seem to go back and forth on who is your current favorite - you are on a Maggie kick right now), and Nama and Grandpa and your aunts and uncles.  You REALLY love your uncles.  Those big brown eyes are trouble, trouble trouble.  

You talk about everything.  There is always a little running commentary of your day coming out of your mouth.  I thought I remembered this with Maggie, but not like this.  I honestly think that if I had a two year old that didn't talk this much, they would be thinking exactly what you are saying.  Just now, wearing your pack-pack and pushing your stroller to go on "cation", you were walking, then started to run and said "I'm running!" "I running faster!". 

You sing songs and count "1, 2, 5, 6, 11" with authority.  I don't think it has ever occurred to you that you are a baby.  You are for sure just as old as your siblings, or possibly the other adults in the room.  I can't remember if Ben and Maggie were this self confident and bossy and cute.  I know it is part the age, part the youngest child thing, and probably just plain old being a girl.  You have manners, and are always saying thank you to us, to your siblings, when we are playing pretend.

You have so many funny little words for things that are repeat words.  You like to play with the pad-pad.  And you love to eat dog-dogs.  You wear around your pack-pack, and like to eat cake-cakes for breakfast.    Your best friend is your cousin Parker but you play with the big girls too, and everyone loves to play with you.    

I wish I could capture every moment and bottle it up to keep forever.  You are my little girl, you dance and run around with reckless abandon.  You like shoes, and dresses and are not to shy to tell us when you feel pretty.  You are sweet, and kind, and silly.  For the first time tonight, I managed to maneuver your hair into pigtails, and you looked so big.  So old.  So grown up.

I still maintain that having you made me complete and made me a better mommy.  You brought more sunshine into our life than we could have managed.  I never thought we would have kids so close in age, but now I can't imagine it any other way.  You are the best surprise we have ever had, and while I love all of my kids so very much, YOU will always be Mommy's little girl.

Happy Birthday Sweetheart. Daddy and I love you more than you will ever know.

Love,
Mommy











2 comments:

Beth said...

Yay Mia! Happy Birthday :)

And this is precisely why I am wanting to get everything in baby books for ours. I know it is going to go by so fast for our little one-to-be.

andrea said...

when you figure out how to make time stop, let me know please? :)

happy two miss Mia - we love you lots!