Sunday, January 9, 2011

It's the little things that mean the most

Specifically, I guess, my little things.  I'm realizing now as a mostly SAHM how much my life revolves around my little people.  Diapers.  Laundry.  Feeding.  Comforting.  Scolding (unfortunately) and trying to teach them what is right and what is wrong.  What is real.  Why it isn't okay to bite to get what you want, and how it is unfair sometimes when your sister has something you don't. 

It has to be hard to be a twin when you are a toddler.  Toddlers are supposed to be self-centered, they are supposed to live in that "mine" mindset, and mine are constantly being tested.  We only have so many toys, and some of them become a hot commodity just because someone else is playing with it.  I feel sometimes like I am living in a child development class, or that maybe I should have paid more attention to things like classic conditioning and positive reinforcement.  There's only so far I can go with my dog training experience. 

Speaking of the dog. . .I know it's been awhile since the babies passed the intelligence level of our family dog, but it still amazes me sometimes the things they already get that she will never know.  Maybe that sounds dumb, but I was thinking about it a couple of days ago.  One of the things my kids know at 20 months is something that I never could have dreamed of as a child of 20 months.  My kids know how to Skype. 

Surely by now you are aware of Skype.  Ellen and Oprah both Skype.  They do it on the Today show.  We have been using it since my best friend moved to Belgium with her family.  We talk to them, and Maggie and Ben have always been interested in seeing the people, especially when they see one of her kids on the screen.  They usually get bored pretty quickly these days, and I was concerned about what that would mean this winter.  My parents left us again for Florida, and they like to be able to see their grandkids on Skype.  Last year we could kind of prop them up in front of the camera and Grandma and Grandpa would be happy to watch them stare, or eat, or on a few memorable occasions, take a bath in the bathtub.  I was worried that they wouldn't be interested long enough for my parents.

Not true.  A few nights ago, we set up for our first conversation.  I wasn't sure what to expect, but it certainly wasn't what happened.  They loved it.  Ben started bringing over toys in the living room and showing them off like he was doing show and tell.  They cheered him on, and Maggie joined in, bringing their favorites over and holding them up towards the camera.  My Dad had to lean in to be seen on the camera, so everytime he disappeared from the screen, you would hear them calling for him.  "Grandpa?  Grandpa?  Are you Grandpa?"  It was really very cute.  There was dancing, and showing off how they play with things, and a good time was had by all.

What does this have to do with the dog?  She has never figured out Skype.  She doesn't look at the people, doesn't respond when they call her, and seems to care less that she recognizes the people on the screen.  The only thing I think she ever was weirded out by was when my parents dog was barking in the background.  I don't know why this amazes me, but it does.  She is our first baby after all, and she is pretty smart for a dog!

Speaking of little things. . . .This little thing is growing.  We have been bad about belly pictures, this is sometime during Week 15.  My little no name in mind, gender yet undetermined, starting to squirm around little one is growing.  So is Mommy.  After starting in my maternity clothes, I was sure I would be a whale by now, but I think growth slowed down at some point, and I no longer feel much bigger than I should be. 
January 3 - Maggie looking all kinds of girly in her cute little striped shirt and striped socks.  She also has been insisting that she gets a pretty or two in her hair whenever I do it.  This was at Grandma and Grandpa's house the night before they left for Florida.  They love that fireplace ledge! 
January 4 - My little monkey.  More adorable towels, and you should see the look on her face when she puts it on.  And then she makes monkey noises.  These new towels were an awesome update!
Couldn't leave out Ben and that handsome smile of his.  
January 5 - This is rare footage (lately), Andy cooking dinner!  We really need to put together menu plans again, I miss the organization and division of labor.  He likes to call on his way home from work to ask me what I am planning.  This is usually my first thought about dinner that night, and I have nothing in mind or defrosted.  It's a wicked pattern.   
January 6 - Not the best photo, but before we took our tree down I had to get a picture of them in front of it.  Now, I know I mentioned that they have been posing for pictures.  For this one, I had asked them to sit down in front of the tree.  Amazingly, they both did.  But Ben jumped up right away asking for Ernie.  Then Ba.  Then all the other posse, and Maggie had to get her "coffeepot" and then we were ready for the picture.

We also went to a toddler dance party at the libary on this morning, and of all days for Mommy to forget her camera. . .Grr . .  
16 weeks!  Don't mind the messy bathroom, Andy was already in bed and I thought this was a Holy Pregnant kind of look in this shirt I wanted to capture.  And looking back at my belly pics from Maggie and Ben?  I am looking bigger with this one.  Seems unreal.  I also think I'm carrying all up front, but low.  Believe it or not, I am still 2 pounds under my pre-pregnancy weight.  Clearly it has shifted.  I have no idea whether this is a boy or a girl, but everyone seems to think boy.  We'll see in three weeks!
January 7 - This morning we went out to my friend Jen's house for a playdate.  Jen is the one I mentioned in my last post who recently lost her little girl and this was the first day she was going to be alone.  We went over with my friend Andrea and her daughter Gianna and the four little ones had quite a fun time.  Jen didn't even seem to mind that we raided her cupboards and fridge to feed hungry toddlers when we were there past lunchtime.  This is Maggie with Olivia, just a couple of girls with pigtails and striped socks :-) 
January 8 - I don't know what you do with your Saturday nights, but for us, it was laundry and coupon clipping.  
January 9 - I should have taken this picture before we had almost polished it off, but I wanted to show off my fancy dinner.  I made scallops, garlic noodles and green beans.  Yummy!  Due to eating more of them than I probably should have, I think I need to go lay down.  It would be a shame to have a return to nausea tonight when things have been going so well!   

Tomorrow we go back to library story time, and back to the regular routine.  If all goes back to normal, hopefully I will be getting some subbing work again.  I am almost not sure if I want to hope for that though, because to do it I'll have to drag Ben and Maggie to the babysitter before they would normally be awake.  Ugh.  It makes me tired just thinking about it.    

Lol, just a little editorial note that is funny.  Thanks to someone for pointing it out in my comments - I fastforwarded a month and labeled all my pictures February.  Whoops!  That's what I get for posting when I am tired.   

4 comments:

Kuparstwn said...

Did you time warp ahead one month? You probably mean January right? It's pregnancy brain. I've had it bad this time too! ;) Everyone looks great though!

SarahH (adm)

maternity clothes said...

Wow what a nice photos of a mother have a baby in her tummy :-)

Anonymous said...

The Skype visits are great and so are the pics. I can just hear Maggie with the monkey towel.
We'll have to figure out the camera angle. Maybe we can even read some books although they seem to be funnier when animated. Loved the "coffee" trick.
Mom T

Amy said...

Jen, you look great and all belly! I haven't taken any belly pics this pregnancy so you are way ahead of me.