I had been thinking of this concept of connections to places lately. There is a song that Miranda Lambert sings called "The House that Built Me." This part is my favorite:
You leave home and you move on and you do the best you can
I got lost in this big old world and forgot who I am.
I thought if I could touch this place or feel it,
This brokenness inside me might start healing.
Out here it's like I'm someone else,
I thought that maybe I could find myself.
If I could just come in, I swear I'll leave.
Won't take nothing but a memory,
From the house that built me.
It is a beautiful song, and it got me thinking. There are certain places in time, things that happened, places I've lived that have truly made me who I am. I lived my entire life until I went to college in the same house that my parents still live in. We never moved, never thought about moving. My parents built that house, designed it, and it still feels like home. It will be so weird someday when they don't live there.
We are in the process of getting our house ready to sell. This house has been my home for 7 years. I met my husband living here. We had our first awkward kiss in this foyer. We found out we were pregnant in the downstairs bathroom, we cried in the living room that night. Our babies came home to this place, and this is the only home they have known. As much as we are ready to move on, I can't even picture us all somewhere else. I can't imagine moving, leaving this place where we began. It's just too strange to picture.
A couple weeks ago, we went to my 10 year college reunion. If anywhere is a place where I feel like I truly became who I am today, it is there. More specifically, I think back to my friends, my house, and that seems like the house that built me. I became the person I am today because of those friendships, because of that community I belonged to in college. It was so nice to be back, and so weird at the same time. We stayed in the dorm. Me, my husband and my two babies stayed in a dorm and walked to the bar. (Me and Andy, not the babies. They stayed in the dorm with a babysitter) It made me so grateful for the time I spent there, so blessed that I had the experiences I did. It also made me a little sad because I didn't keep in touch the way I should have. I miss having that large group of friends to hang out with. 16 people from my pledge class came, and it was almost like old times (except for the fact that we had a bunch of kids between us, and several people were pregnant).
It is late and I need to finish this up. Tomorrow is going to come early, and it's going to be a busy weekend. Here are my photo updates, I'll try to get another post in soon so it's not so backed up next time!
May 7 - We have been gradually adding perennials to our flowerbeds so we didn't need to worry about much planting this year. I love how the front of our house looks in the spring!
May 8 - Hi Grandma!
May 9 - Happy Mother's Day! Here I am with my cuties. I love these two babies more than anything in the world, and I can't imagine my life without them.
Four fabulous generations of women. Don't mind the squintiness it was really sunny!
A few of my favorite Moms.
May 10 - Ben is so snuggly with Lily, and she couldn't be a better baby dog. She lets them climb all over her, give her kisses, throw things at her, and covers them with kisses.
May 12 - Busy, busy babies. They are always into something these days, and on the move. They are so much fun, and I love this age!
May 13 - Lila-pup in her favorite spot on the couch.
May 14 - The cats also get love from the Ben, but they are not quite as into it as the dog.
May 15 - My fabulous sisters. How things change and how things stay the same. What a fun weekend!
May 16 - We went to the Columbus Zoo and it was awesome! For some reason, this was my favorite picture of the day.
May 17 - Pulling down stacks of books is a favorite activity.
May 18 - Climbing up the stairs makes everything so much easier. When they try to come back down? Not as cool.
May 19 - Ben is playing with one of my childhood toys, this little turtle. Watching him drag it around and knowing that I used to do the same thing? Love it.
May 20 - We have been playing in the driveway a lot lately. They love pushing around the truck and the trike, but they haven't figured out how to make them move when they are on them. Notice the sad look on his face.
May 21 - A combo of jammie pants and the dress she wore that day - just like Mama's uniform! 
May 22 - We went for our first ice cream cones - they loved them! Maggie even figured out how to finish off her cone. 

May 23 - Ben and Maggie got a water/sand table for their birthday from Aunt Sarah and Uncle Brandon. We had dinner on it with the cover on and then played and splashed for a long time. Maggie, in particular, LOVED it! I imagine lots of fun with this this summer. 
May 24 - We pimped out the wagon by buying an awning for it. Fair skinned babies do not need sunburn. 
May 25 - A girl on my MoM's board lost her son JW to lung failure. He was a preemie, a fighter, and touched many lives. On the day of his memorial service, everyone from the board who could wore blue and went outside to blow bubbles to Heaven for JW. Andy took them out for me since I was at work, and while he got a few good pictures, I love this one. My heart goes out to his family, and wish that no one ever had to lose a child. 
May 26 - My SIL came over with Ryan and we dug out the activity mat. He loved it, Ben and Maggie thought it was great fun. At some point I remember realizing that there are people in the world who have 3 babies that are this close together. I can't imagine. 
May 27 - My last day of school. Possibly my last day at my school. The idea makes me so sad, so scared, and I'm not sure what happens next. The stool was a present from the class and I hope I have a classroom to put it in again!
Hopefully my next post will have some good news in it. God knows we could use it!
No comments:
Post a Comment