Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Child Abuse?

I mean really, what else can you call it when you take your babies outside, in November, in nothing but a diaper, to put them inside a gutted pumpkin?

Well, I suppose you could call it damn adorable photographs. It's November. I can't believe it! We have been so busy that I haven't had a chance to sit down and actually type up a blog entry. There are so many things I've been wanting to write down lately, I just haven't had the time to do it. The babies are so busy, they are getting so big, and so full of personality, and it is hard to believe that they are seven months old already!

But first I want to talk about these hats. :-) There are some things I still get emotional about. It is partly infertility scars, and partly just mommy hormones I think. We picked out those little hats about a year ago. I can remember clearly standing at Target with Andy last year looking at the Halloween clearance items. We knew at that point that we were having twins, but I think it was before the big ultrasound. We were looking at these little baby hats. Much thought went into what we wanted to pick out, which ones we wanted to get. They were so tiny. They were so cute. They were for our babies, those tiny things inside me that were still just a blurry speck on the ultrasound. We brought them home, and packed them away with the other little things we picked up here and there. I think then of how we were buying for these anonymous little babies, and now, well, now those little hats sit on the heads of these precious children of mine, that have spark, and personalities, and fingernails that grow, and earwax. You always hear of people rememberings things their Mom's said. Momisms that you remember, but you don't know where they came from. I think I've picked one. It was from Grey's Anatomy, funny enough, but I have found myself saying it to my babies, and it seems to fit. "I made you from scratch." Well, as I've explained to them both, mommy and daddy loved each other very much so they went to see a doctor, and the doctor made Mommy give herself shots in her tummy, and then there were lots of eggs, and the embryologist got involved, and then you spent a few days in a petri dish. . . .but really, I made you from scratch.
Isn't this one adorable?Halloween, oh Halloween. The Halloween costumes I had imagined us making got scrapped (my Mother, God bless her was driving me crazy worrying about everything) so instead of a Peanut and a Bug, we ended up with a Flower and a Bee. With a pea costume that didn't get worn still floating around here somewhere. But they looked awfully adorable, didn't they? In big news, Maggie learned how to sit! She is pretty good at it and will sit for long stretches. She can lean way forward to pick things up without falling over, and is well balanced. A couple of weeks ago, she leaned all the way forward to put her toes in her mouth. Her feet have been very interesting lately. Maggie also has started doing this full body wiggle and flap when I come home from work that melts my heart. Ben likes to roll over on his side and open his mouth when he sees me (must.have.boob.now), but Maggie looks just pleased as punch that I'm home. She will scream and cry if I try to go to Ben first. It's cute. Ben is getting there. For awhile it seemed like he really liked falling over. He did learn how to roll from his back to his belly, and for now, he has a trick that Maggie doesn't. I wish I could describe the noises they make. He sings sometimes, and makes this breathy noise that when you imitate he laughs at. He is very grabby. especially with my hair, and ears and nose. The bear coats were another purchase we made when we couldn't yet know how adorable they would look in them. How could we know? Ben in his bear coat. Maggie in hers. The weather is starting to get colder, and we're starting to realize the challenge of keeping babies warm but not sweaty in their car seats. Our seven month photos. We were very distracted by the bear and the lamb. The light wasn't good. Mommy was tired and frustrated. We miss Daddy when we have to do these photoshoots without him. And then we tried to get a group photo. It was hysterical. Ben decided he wanted to. . .nurse? Eat Maggie? Either way, she fought back. Then he wanted her sticker. He got it, she stole it. He took it back.

I think somewhere I have a nice one of both of them looking, but I also have a really funny series of photos of the sticker incident. Hysterical. Adorable.

Seven month olds are fun. They make me smile, they are adorable, and I am so freaking lucky they are mine.

1 comment:

Paula Keller said...

TOTAL UTTER CUTENESS! Seriously, this makes me so excited about having twins!

My favorite is the one of Ben in his bear coat. Sooo so cute!

Thanks for sharing!