Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day!

Happy Mother's Day to all of my fellow bloggers and readers! Whether you are mothers now, or some of the women I know who will be the best moms ever when they kick IF butt, or someone who is just today celebrating their mother, I hope that you had a great day!

Let me start with this: My 40 week belly shot. With the babies on our May 3rd due date! Maggie Ben
What a difference a year makes. I was just looking back, and last year right around this time, I was starting my first IUI with injectables. I have photos from this time of May of needles, and the sharps container and then a couple weeks later my poor bruised and bloated belly. It didn't work, and I've thought a lot since the twins arrived about how if any of our failed attempts had worked, we wouldn't have the babies we have now.

And man, do we love the ones we have. Since we've been home from the hospital, life has been so different, but so much more than we had before. We are busy, tired, and a little snippy at times, but we are parents. We have children. My husband is a Daddy, and I am a Mom.

A Mom. It is crazy. Part of me still wonders when someone is going to come and pick them up like we've been babysitting. All the Mommy rules I know were someone else's rules, and I realize now that I'm the one who gets to make them. That means that if I want to use binkies, take them to the store, dress them in goofy outfits. . .I'm allowed.
I can photograph them as much as I want to. I can let them sleep on me on the couch, and (gasp) have a blanket over both of us. I can stick my finger in their mouth to get something or to soothe them and sing them country songs with inappropriate lyrics. I can not worry about germs if I want to, or I can obsessively make people use Purell. They are MINE. And I am eternally grateful.

I thought I would post some photos of what we do around here, and what has been happening since my last update.

We snuggle in the Pack and Play
We hang out on the couch in our boppies
We wear stylish and eco-friendly diapers
We snuggle on the couch with Daddy or Mommy

We like to go for walks with the dog
We spend time in our bouncy chairs giving the animals the stink eye

Maggie likes to go for a ride in the swing

Ben likes to hang with his dog Lily
We spend time getting snuggled by our Great-Grandmas
We have playdates with our friends
We let Mommy and Daddy take embarassing photos for the future.


Or normal ones

Mommy did our first monthly photo shoot with our stuffed animals


And we really love our Daddy!

5 comments:

kate said...

Happy Mother's Day Jen. Your babies are beautiful, and as always, your post made me smile.

andrea said...

i am so glad you guys had a perfect day.
just the other day i was talking to my friend(also a new mommy) about the exact same things you posted - that they are OUR babies and we can follow our own rules! it is pretty amazing. and we really do get to keep them :)

they are adorable of course.

Sandra Cookie said...

Happy First Mother's Day, Jen! Enjoy your babies! -Sandra

Chelle said...

Happy (belated) Mother's Day. I love the pictures. They make me all teary!

The Mama said...

I found you on the Bump. I also have b/g twins, but mine are six months old.

You're babies are BEAUTIFUL! Feel free to check out my blog, takencare.blogspot.com.