The thing that really struck me that night was about how I really have become part of this amazing group of women who have a sense of community. I heard someone say that at the event, someone commented to them that anyone who worries about the next generation not having the kind of spirit that the older generations had should have been in that room. Everyone pitched in, we had volunteers doing every part of the event, and while we are a community of Moms, the presence of all of our husbands too led to such a feeling of family and friendship there that night. I cracked up a little knowing that as much as we women know each other from our online community, the husbands who may have never met still were able to come together without words it seemed to do what needed to be done. Whether it was putting out chairs, manning the bar, or serving food, they all chipped in as well. It made me realize that I need to try a little harder to foster some of these new friendships because they mean so much, and I know so many wonderful women!
On the homefront, I am still feeling warm and fuzzy feelings about my family (most of the time). Miss Amelia is the sweetest baby, and much as I hate to put this down in writing lest I jinx it, she has been sleeping through the night for a good 6 or so hours since she was approximately 3 weeks old. Don't hate, I'm sure it won't last. She just has the most relaxed little personality most of the time. For a third child, I think the only thing that is somewhat surprising is that she really wants to be nursed and held all the time, and even with two toddlers I am able to do it most of the time. I know it is hard for both Andy and my Mother to understand, but she really is not getting spoiled, she just really seems to need that contact. And oh, after having babies before who I never seemed to have enough time to snuggle, do I love that she usually wants me. This one is a real Mama's girl. I am trying to treasure every minute of it, and to not gloat in front of her Daddy. Well, not too much.
Maggie and Ben are doing a great job of helping me with the baby, and helping more around the house. It is a nice age to take advantage of it, because they love to help. They love to help me unload the dishwasher, a game that is like some kind of speed race when they are helping by tossing things up for me to put them away. They also seem to find the breakable stuff and the knives faster than I can. They fight over emptying the dryer, and are good about putting away diapers and helping with the clothes. They like to pick out Mia's diapers, her pajamas, her socks and her clothes. They cover her with blankets, or bring her a lovie or toys. I am not sure that Mia always appreciates the binkies that get shoved in her mouth, but they are trying. Ben did try to pick her up for me the other day, but I was faster. Just a little more head control, and they can lug her around more if they want to, when she is mobile, I am sure they will include her in their adventures. She loves them, watches them, and gives Maggie especially her big happy girl smiles, and I love it. I love seeing that she is not just ours, she is theirs.
I am trying to remember to take snapshots of the kids. I have been trying so much to be more aware of my camera, to use it's powers for good photos, so to speak, that I find that sometimes days will go by and I realize I haven't taken a picture. Maggie and Ben had so many pictures of just everyday stuff, that when the everyday stuff happens that is cute, I have a hard time remembering to grab my camera.
I did get this one though. There is a picture of Maggie, about that old, wearing a pair of pants on her head that Daddy put there, and I thought it was so funny to get one of Mia that looks so similar.
I was a little bummed that I didn't get to Mia's photo shoot until she was 1 month and 1 day, and it was night, but I think they turned out really cute. I ended up needing to use the flash since it was after the twins went to bed, but I really liked how they turned out. Notice some of the many expressions of our youngest child!The perfect picture of all three of them is still elusive. They were all wearing their Big/Little shirts at my parents house the other day and I thought I would try to get a picture of all of them together. Here are some of the attempts.
Who needs group shots when you can get sister shots like this?
I don't know why I was surprised when Maggie decided to start nursing Kee. I mean, he has always gotten taken care of just like I take care of them, and now that she is watching me nurse Mia, it is the natural way to feed babies. I just couldn't believe the first time she told me Kee was hungry and took off her shirt to feed him. She likes to use my pillows to do it, and it is hilarious. Kee is also a fan of the swing and the bouncy chair now, I guess he is regressing.
Speaking of Mia, I had forgotten how much fun and how easy it was to take photos of little babies. They don't run away, they are interested in the camera, and will pose anyway you can pose them. I took all of these in my SIL's backyard, and I love them, except for the fact that the light was causing me grief. I was shooting out of the shade, into the shadows and light, and short of using a flash, I wasn't sure what to do. I like my shade shots of Mia and Andy, but they are flat, and I like my yard photos but they are either flat or blown out. Sigh. One of these days, I'm going to know what to do in situations like that!
Their dog Mickey was drinking water out of the air while they were playing in the sprinkler. Pretty funny that he showed my kids how to do it so they did it too!
I thought this was a super cute shot of the kiddos sharing the bench of a musical toy of their cousins. I love that my kids pretty much have grown up sharing, and while they don't always like it, they do it because they don't know any other way.
Cousin Parker continues to get his monthly photos by Aunt Jen. He is quite a cutie and quite a chunker now! It will be so nice to have a playmate for Mia that is so close in age as they grow up!
Okay, shortish and sweet. I am having a hard time finding time to do much of anything that isn't dishes and laundry and taking care of kids. Thank goodness for my mother, the house elf, or we wouldn't get anything else done around here. But today, photos uploaded, blog updated, dinner being made as we speak. . .I did it all by myself (a favorite expression around here lately) and it wasn't too bad. Just don't look at my living room today.
1 comment:
Adorable pictures, adorable kids! And I feel you on the not getting much done subject; 3 under 3 is much harder than 2 under 2!
Post a Comment