Saturday, April 9, 2011

You don't get many days like these

Today was quite a day.  This morning at 9:05 am, my nephew was born by c-section at the same hospital where I had given birth to my babies one day shy of two years ago.  We sat in the lobby waiting, wondering, and worrying.  Since I had given birth in the same hospital, I had an idea of how the timeline should have gone.  Last night I had sat down with my sister in law and gve her some of the details of what had happened and some advice about things I either had been told by others who had gone before me, or that I wish I had known ahead of time.  I really hope I didn't scare her, but it really made me look back and think about how far we've come. 

At 4:00, Maggie and Ben's birthday party started.  We ended up with 30 some guests, including 8 little people running around.  Most of the little friends are right around their age, so it was basically a bunch of two year olds running around.  It sure looked like everyone had a good time, got green teeth from our awesome cake my aunt made, and I don't think I sat down for more than 3 minutes at a time all night. 

At 6:15, they each blew out two candles on their cupcakes and finally had everyone singing just for them.  At around 9:45, the last of our guests left. 

And at 10:11, I was rocking my babies in the glider in the nursery singing Twinkle Twinkle with the two loves of my life when I finally started to cry.  I cannot believe my babies are turning two. 

Two years ago, I sat down and wrote them a letter, those unknown, unmet, strangers in my belly.  And now, two years later, I can't imagine my life without them, feel like the luckiest mommy in the world (most days), and know them inside and out.  I made them, I grew them, and I am raising them.  But they still amaze me everyday. 

To my Peanut and my Bug,

Wow.  Tomorrow you will be 2.  I cannot believe it, and I cannot imagine how life went by so fast that tonight we are scratching our heads wondering where the time has gone.  It seems like just yesterday that you were just brand new babies, screaming out at the world, wanting nothing more than to just be snuggled; you were the best thing that has ever been mine. 

It's funny how so much of this is still the same.  There is a lot of screaming sometimes in this house.  You scream when you don't get your way.  You scream up at the ceiling pretending to call Mommy or Daddy.  You scream just to hear yourself scream.  You love to be snuggled.  One of my most guilty pleasures on morning that we are home is to give in to "Mommy snuggle?" before breakfast.  We get our milk and Mommy's orange juice, get comfy on the couch under our blankets and just curl up into each other.  I usually have one of you on each side, you share your blankets with me and we will watch an episode of Little Bear.  Sometimes two if you are particularly snugly that morning.  I love it.  I love the sleepy baby sounds, the heads on my shoulder or on my belly, and the way that sometimes you just absently pat my belly like you are saying hello and I love you to your baby sister. 

The two of you, soon to be three of you, will always and forever be the best thing that's ever been mine. 

You amaze me.  I am amazed that you went from helpless sleepy infants to bright and curious toddlers.  You ask me questions all the time.  Maggie, in particular, has started to notice sounds all around her.  You will tilt your little head to the side to listen and then pipe up with "Was that Mommy?  Was that?"  Sometimes I know.  Sometimes I am making things up.  But you nod your head at me very seriously while you are processing the new information.  Ben is always the first one to hear the birds in the morning.  You "teet teet!" in excitement when you hear the birds, and tell me "I heer burdies, Mommy".  If we see them outside, we count them, or try to point to them.  One morning this week Ben was trying to share his food with the birds outside, holding something out and saying "Bite?  Bite Birdie?".  Possibly the cutest thing I've ever seen. 

You have both developed a sense of humor.  Sure, it's not always what I find funny, but lucky for you both you were born with a built in audience.  Sometimes dropping food on the floor is funny.  Sometimes it is pulling up your shirt to show off your bebo.  Sometimes it is Mommy accidentally passing out the wrong color cups.  You laugh, and you giggle.  Ben still has this deep belly laugh, Maggie you just giggle and chuckle like crazy.  Falling down is hilarious.  Falling down just like your sister did a minute ago, great fun. 

I am amazed at your communication.  I can't help but feel just a little bit smug when I hear how your vocabulary stacks up to others.  I'm your Mommy, I'm so proud of you, but mostly, I guess, I should be grateful that I come from a line of women that are just naturally gabby.  I remember your Nama T. saying to me once when you were very small that she loved how I talked to you.  Just natural conversation, describing what you were doing, probably using my teacher voice.  I was very skeptical about how that could help, but my goodness if you don't have a good grasp of language for 2 year olds.  Maggie has even started to use the right tone.  Sweetie, you sound so. . .instructional when you talk to me or to Ben.  My favorite thing to listen to is you trying to explain things to Ben, as if he is a very small child of yours.  The day that it was thundering around naptime, and I was trying to keep him calm, and you started repeating in this little motherly voice, "Don't cry Benny Bear.  Just loud.  Not scary.  It's okay."  You are going to be a fantastic big sister, and you already act and sound like such a little mommy.  Or maybe a teacher. 

You both also know how to bring out the sassy voice.  At your party, Ben, I asked you to say hi to one of your little girl friends.  You looked over with the flirtiest look and came out with "Hi" in your best imitation of "How you doin'" Joey from Friends.  You then proceeded to show her your wagon, like you were trying to impress her with your ride.  Such a ladies man.  Maggie, you have started answering me sometimes with the most exasperated, "O-kaaay, Mommy" that I have ever heard from someone under the age of 13.  I am in big trouble with you I think. 

Your little feet know how to walk, and run,to stomp in puddles and jump with two feet.  And they dance, oh how they dance.  You both LOVE music, and I love how much you love it!  You try to sing along with the radio in the car, you love going to music class, you burst into song on your own (Twinkle Twinkle, Happy Birthday, and the theme song from Mickey Mouse Clubhouse are favorites to sing).  You have plenty of opportunities to dance, and if you don't, you make something up by playing anything in the living rooclesm that makes noise.  We have a lot of noisy toys.  Sometimes dancing is just going around in circles together in a

Ben has great puzzle sense.  I think that would be sort of a mathematically inclined brain.  You have gotten so good, you love to do them, and it makes me so proud of you! 

Maggie is developing a fashion sense.  Almost every morning it seems, it takes you 10 minutes to pick out socks.  No joke, you will reject the first ones I pick, go through 5 other pair and then pick the ones I had in mine first.  You both like to try to dress yourselves, or just to help me pick in the morning.  For the most part, you do okay, or I just don't care what you wear! 

Well, as much as there is more to say tonight, on our latest Birthday Eve, I can barely keep my eyes open.  I do not recommend throwing parties when you are in your third trimester.  I love you my babies.  That moment, sitting in the rocker tonight while we all sang Twinkle Twinkle was one of the most special nights that can remember. 

I love you my babies,

Mommy

4 comments:

kate said...

Such a sweet post. Happiest of birthdays Ben and Maggie!

Paula Keller said...

TWO! How is that even possible!

What a lovely post.

andrea said...

aaaahhh TWO!

great post, Jen.

Anonymous said...

I love reading your blog. You are right on with all of your observations about your babies. Every day is a new adventure. What a beautiful letter.
Mom T