This is what I waited for.
I was just reading back through my blog looking for belly photos, and ran across the posts I did in April before they were here. When I was just waiting, and wondering, and full of hope and fear and worry. We've made it almost 8 months now, and I'm ready to admit one big thing.
We're pretty good at this. I shouldn't have worried so much.
I'm not trying to brag, but I just have to say that things are going better than expected, at least in regards to the babies. They are still alive, they are thriving, and they are just darn good babies. We had a moment over the weekend when both of them were screaming and crying in their highchairs. We don't have many moments like that and it struck me as funny. I looked at Andy, and I told him - this is what people picture when they can't imagine what life is like with twins. Two screaming babies. That's not how it is here, and I am so grateful.
I thought I would run down some bullet points of things I've learned and things I want to remember.
- I can carry two babies around, bend over pick things up on the floor and get them both upstairs to be changed. Most of the time I can do this without bonking someone's head on the wall. Tonight was not one of those nights.
- Broccoli smells really bad steamed, pureed and even in ice cube form
- Ben has a birthmark on his butt
- Maggie has the most beautiful eyes, people remark on it all the time. She is going to get away with anything she wants when she gets older. God help us all.
- I am amazed by my boobs. They may not be the milk machines I was hoping for, but they keep chugging along. 8 months later we are still using the My Brest Friend pillow, and I still have to hold my boob, but we are still nursing. And they said it couldn't be done.
- Cloth diapering twins is not hard. Really, the only big difference is an extra couple loads of wash a week. And yes, I have found poop in my washing machine. Only during the middle of a wash cycle, and you know what, it cleans up. I've had poop on my foot too, you know what, poop happens.
- Ben has learned to give hugs. He wraps his arms around you and snuggles in. It is utterly adorable. He rolls up onto his side at night when he is on my side of the bed, and loves cuddles.
- Maggie has discovered her loud voice, and says "Ahhhhh" all the time as loud as she can. Sometimes it's kind of like singing. We really need to get it on video.
- They don't cry unless they are hungry or overly tired. They are just happy babies, and we love them to death.
- CIO is not for me. We bought a new king size bed, and while Andy is still on nights, we just all pile in the bed at night and when he comes home, he puts everyone where they need to be. I pump, and it is our hour to spend together. I love sleeping in a pile of babies. I'm sure someday this will be bad, but for now, it is our way of doing it, and it makes for such peaceful sleepy evenings.
- I don't know if we are done having kids. I'm tired of everyone we meet on the street telling me how lucky I was to get a boy and a girl in one shot so we don't have to do it again.
I'm sure there was more of a point to this post, and more sentimental thoughts in my brain when I started. Oh well. The blue one is right here, and I think it's time to snuggle that baby. After all, right here in this bed is what I hoped for, prayed for, and waited for.
3 comments:
this makes me smile :)
ahhh. i love it!
it is hard to believe they are 8 months already, huh?
Thanks! I needed to hear that. I'm kind of having mini freak outs about having twins. Like I'm really excited, and really nervous. But mostly, I'm so hormonal... :P
Post a Comment